Ancestral Family Topic 6

 6   Holmes Arthur Vaughan (1892-1951)
Pedigree Chart 01

Holmes Arthur Vaughan, in his own words
If he could speak to us today, Holmes Arthur Vaughan might describe his life as follows.

I was born at “Forest Grove” 13 May 1892. Because Papa was very busy as commissioner of revenue, my brother James and I farmed our family’s land. I was a 29-year-old “prominent young farmer” when I married 20-year-old Sarah Frances Carr at the home of her parents 15 October 1921.
We lived with my folks for a year until Papa gave us about 70 acres at “Hog Wallow” on Highway 360 where we sank a well and put up our house. This is where our 3 daughters, Frances, Betsy, and Lucy Holmes, were born.
We gave up on tobacco after one year and found our way into the dairy business—“Cream Top Dairy,” we called it. Sarah and the girls processed the milk and I made door-to-door deliveries to 100s of homes in my truck. We later sold our milk in bulk for about $7 per 100 pounds to Virginia Dairy Company that ranked our farm among its 10 best in 1948.
I have many fond memories of life on that dairy farm: girls shelling beans on the porch, watermelon in Summer, and croquet into the night. Each year I would dam the creek to make a pond for the girls and their friends.
Although we kept the farm, Sarah and I got a 2-story home in nearby Crewe in 1946. Frances was married to Bob Garland and living in Roanoke then. It broke my heart when Betsy married McCaddin Pritchett at our home in 1948 and drove off to Texas.
Maybe it was all the milk I drank or just an inherited condition. Anyway I was only 59 when cerebral arteriosclerosis—hardening of the arteries in my brain—triggered the stroke that killed me in 1951. I rest now next to Sarah in Crewe Cemetery above Lazaretto Creek.

Although early Federal censuses showed his name as Arthur H. Vaughan, the Census of 1830 listed Holmes A. Vaughan, a farmer. 

Newspaper report of the marriage
The local paper described the Carr-Vaughan marriage as follows.

Carr - Vaughan
A pretty marriage was solemnized at the home of Mr. and Mrs. C.P. Carr, near town, when on Saturday, the 15th, at 4:00 p.m., their eldest daughter, Miss Sarah Frances, became the bride of Mr. Holmes Arthur Vaughan, also of this county.
The ceremony, which united two prominent Nottoway County families, was witnessed by a large number of the relatives and friends of the contracting parties. The parlor had been tastefully decorated for the occasion with evergreens and potted plants. The room was darkened for the happy event, and the soft glow of many candles lent a mellow radiance to the scene.
The strains of Mendelssohn’s wedding march rendered by Miss Jessie Gravette, of Alton, Halifax County, an intimate friend of the bride, the couple entered the room. Advancing to a large arch of evergreens, they were met by the bride’s pastor, Rev. W.H. Carter, of the Crewe Baptist Church, who spoke the words which made them one.
The bride is a very popular young lady of winning ways and attractive personality. She was becomingly attired in a blue cloth suit, with hat and gloves to correspond, and carried a shower bouquet of brides’ roses. The groom is the son of Mr. and Mrs. J.L. Vaughan, and is a prominent young farmer. He and his bride have the best wishes of a host of friends.
Immediately after the ceremony, amid a shower of rice and congratulations, Mr. and Mrs. Vaughan left by auto for Burkeville, where they boarded the Southern train for a trip to points in Virginia and North Carolina. Upon their return, they will make their home with the parents of the groom, near Burkeville.

First year of marriage
Sarah and Holmes lived a year at Joe and Byrd Vaughan’s home. Sundays, his sisters Claudia and her family of 9 or 10, Lou B. and her 11, Mary and her 7 or 8 plus Margie and her baby Alice would come to dinner. Sarah helped by picking chickens, shelling butterbeans, stringing snaps, cooking, serving, and washing dishes until she was frantic. As many as 30 came to dinner. Sarah had enjoyed teaching the year before at Maplewood and decided she would like to teach again. So she went to Farmville State Teachers College (now Longwood College) for the 1922 summer session, staying at the home of William Joseph Hillsman.
She applied to teach and Maplewood accepted her again. During her second year at Maplewood two teachers were there, Sarah and Mrs. Baron. Sarah taught grades one, two, and 4 and Mrs. Baron grades 5 and 6. No students were in the third grade or seventh grade. Only 3 or 4 students were in each class. While they were teaching some students, others were studying.

Their first home
In 1922 Joe Vaughan gave Holmes about 70 acres at “Hog Wallow.” Before modernized transportation, hogs were herded from Danville and South Boston to Richmond to be butchered. Along the highway by the farm was a muddy place where the hogs wallowed and stayed overnight. The herdsmen went farther down the road to Jennings Ordinary and stayed at the tavern.
Holmes, who did not believe in going into debt, spent $1,000 to build a small frame home and dig a well. Sarah put her savings into building the front porch. When they tried to raise dark tobacco, first crop they took to market that year barely brought enough money to pay the man who tied it in bundles. They scattered the rest of the tobacco on the land for fertilizer.
When Sarah finished the 1922-23 school year at Maplewood she and Holmes moved into the home they had been building. They began to raise a family.

Raising a family
Frances Rebecca Vaughan was born 9 April 1924. In time she had a whooping cough and developed a croupy cough. As she grew, Holmes called her his “little tobacco stick” and joked about the wind blowing her away. She was shy but learned quickly. She excelled at school and was her class historian.
Elizabeth Carolyn Vaughan, called “Betsy,” 9¼ pounds, was born Friday, 9 Oct. 1925, at 9:00 a.m. When Frances first saw Betsy, she said “Oh, what a cute little doggie.” While both she and Frances were infants, Holmes would get up when Betsy cried and Sarah would get up when Frances cried. Although younger then Frances, Betsy was so active and robust they seemed the same age.
Betsy kept getting ear aches and they took her to see the family doctor, Dr. Warriner, often to have her ears punctured. Once when she did not want to go she ran around the dining room table crying. Someone told her they would make her doll a dress while she was gone and when she got back a beautiful batiste dress was there.
Betsy was about 4 years old when her ear became so bad they called it mastoiditis. She had to go to Richmond to Johnston Willis Hospital for an operation to remove some bone. The chloroform was terrible. She was there quite a while and could not walk when she left. She and Sarah stayed at the home of Joel Hillsman so they could be close to the hospital. Holmes stayed home with Frances. Sarah and Betsy came home in the spring with all her Easter gifts.
When Betsy was in high school, Miss Walton was one of her teachers. Betsy had always gotten straight “A’s” on her report card. One afternoon, her mother, watching out for the girls coming down the road, could hear Betsy crying and screaming. Sarah thought that Betsy had fallen and hurt her knees as she was often doing. Sarah ran to see what was wrong but Betsy could not talk for sobbing. Miss Walton had given her a “B” on some subject.
Lucy Holmes Vaughan was born at home 18 June 1929. Betsy was in the front yard and watched Dr. Warriner go in the house with his black bag. As he left, she could hear a baby crying and they told her a baby was in the house. Betsy thought it must have come in that black bag. Aunt Lucy, the wife of James Vaughan, was there and stayed a few days. They named Lucy Holmes for Lucy and her father, Holmes.
Lucy Holmes was a pleasant plump little child, but by 4 she became very thin. Frances and Betsy were older and about average size. They complained that if they touched Lucy Holmes, she would fall over. They got in lots of trouble with her.
Lucy Holmes was slow to begin talking. She would point at what she wanted and say “ur ur ur” until she got what she wanted. Frances and Betsy decided they would take responsibility for helping her talk. One day they were all ready for Sunday School and the 3 sisters, with Lucy Holmes in the middle, were bundled under the buggy robe waiting for Holmes and Sarah. They were practicing words. Three was difficult for her to say. She tried to say three after hearing Frances and Betsy pronounce it. It first came out pea, then tree, then free. After weeks and weeks of practice, with great effort, she one day said “Thr e e.” Betsy and Frances were very proud. Lucy Holmes used me at the beginning of sentences. When anyone tried to correct her, she said, “me not going to say me no more, me going to say I.”
Lucy Holmes developed eye problems, they became red and would run easily. Although Sarah and Holmes did everything, Dr. Warriner did not know what was wrong. They even took her to Dr. Nelson, a chiropractor and neighbor, but his adjustments did not do any good. Sarah took her to a specialist in Richmond. No one could help.

Operating a dairy farm
During the Great Depression, Holmes and Sarah ambitiously acquired two horses, several cows, hogs, and chickens. They had fruit trees and each year planted a huge garden of vegetables. They planted the rest of the land with corn, wheat, alfalfa and other necessities for the family and the animals.
The family worked hard raising their food. The daughters picked and shelled butter beans. They could earn 2¢ per quart and would sit on the front porch shelling bushel after bushel. After being shelled, the butter beans sold for 10¢. Frances, Betsy, and Lucy Holmes would bring in the wood, gather eggs, tend the yard, and clean inside. They also would string snaps, peel fruit for canning, beat batter for baking cakes and bread, and churn buttermilk. While they worked, they would talk, sing and eat.
Sarah would form the butter and decorate the surface with angular patterns. She would work the milk out of the butter by adding cold water and then salt. The one pound blob was patted in a circle and a symmetrical angular design imprinted on the ball with the butter paddle.
The family had more food than they could eat and canned some vegetables for winter. They generally removed the Ball and Kerr jars from the hot water after lunch and placed them on the table to cool. They looked beautiful and were placed carefully on the shelves in the basement until winter. Food that they did not eat or put away for winter they took into Crewe and sold to the residents there.
Holmes also trucked in milk, cream, butter, and buttermilk, selling it door-to-door in Crewe. A list of good customers developed in time and Grocery stores sold produce that Holmes did not sell to regular customers.
During World War II army convoys crossing the intersection of Route 360 and Route 460 delayed Holmes from delivering milk. He would pass out pint and half-pint bottles of milk to the soldiers who were not used to having fresh milk. Because Holmes was a farmer, he did not have to serve during the war.
Holmes and Sarah bought more cows and the cows had calves. Each cow had its own name, personality, and milk production level. The farm’s dairy business grew and they named it the “Cream Top Dairy.” Their bottles said “Vaughan Dairy - Crewe, Va.” on them and the printed caps read as follows:


They built a new cinder block barn with a milk house nearby. Cream Top Dairy was one of only two dairies in the state allowed to sell AA raw milk, which was 5½% butterfat. A quart of milk sold for 10¢.
The business day began every morning at 4:00 a.m. Cows were milked by hand until electric milking machines were added. The milk was then processed in the milk house where Sarah was in charge, helped by Lucy Holmes. They poured the milk over an aerator to be cooled then bottled it. They capped and put the bottles in wire crates and refrigerated them until morning. The milk truck would then be loaded and Holmes, with a hired helper, delivered the milk and other dairy products to hundreds of homes. Empties were picked up, washed, and sterilized for the next day.
When help was short, as it was often during World War II, Sarah drove the tractor to pull the hay baler so the men could sit on the baler and tie wires around bales of hay. Families with babies depended very much on milk being delivered and mothers did not feed babies canned milk. In 1941 a tremendous snowfall came. They dug paths from the house to the barn and from the wood pile to the house. Everyone bundled up and got the milking, bottling, and loading done.
One day when it snowed particularly hard, Holmes used the tractor and a homemade plow to clear the quarter-mile path to Highway 360, which had been cleared. Yet their usual shortcut off 360 to Crewe had not been opened so they turned left on 360 toward Jennings Ordinary. When they found it was not yet opened, Holmes and his helper, Herman Pape, got down from the truck and began to shovel their way into town. When they were about half finished, the snow plow came up behind them but could not pass the truck. They had to finish shoveling the way to Crewe themselves.
Holmes loved his dairy farm and the dairy barn was cleaned every day, more often if necessary. He spread lime over the floor and raked sawdust over it. He added to the farm in 1945 leasing part of “Forest Grove” from his mother for $20 per year.
Holmes always had the help of hired hands. Several African-Americans lived on the place. Jasper, Cepheus, and Maynard lived there and went to school from there. Herman Pape, a neighbor, worked a long time for the family.
After Holmes stopped delivering milk in individual bottles, he sold in bulk to Virginia Dairy Company, Inc. in Richmond. Their motto was “The Home of Better Milk.” Beginning in 1948 Virginia Dairy held a “Dairy Farm Beautification Contest” that evaluated the farms on “… improvements in approaches, surroundings, appearance of buildings and landscaping.” Holmes’ farm tied for ninth place the first year.
The dairy farm provided Sarah, Holmes, and the family with a good life. They always had plenty to eat, clothes to wear, cars, tractors and other farm equipment, and an education for their daughters.

Growing up on a dairy farm
It was exciting growing up on a dairy farm, cousins would come visit and the girls lived just a ¼ mile from their Vaughan grandparents.
Betsy, an active child, liked hanging from tree limbs, skating, riding a bike fast, running, playing basketball, swimming, and dancing. Once when Holmes left a ladder leaning against the corn crib, Betsy climbed it and straddled the top of the corn crib. Frances followed her up as far as the sixth rung of the ladder, became afraid, and started yelling, “Mama, come get me.” Sarah got Frances off the ladder but had to call Holmes to get Betsy down.
Another time, five-year-old Betsy was “helping” Holmes put a new screen on the back door. Every time he set down a tool, she would pick it up. In exasperation, Holmes finally said, “If you don’t leave my tools alone, I’m going to send you in the house and tell your mother to whip you.”
Sarah taught her daughters about “Nap Time.” After lunch, everyone, even visiting friends and cousins, would have to lie down on the bed, or anywhere, and rest. Family life revolved around the dining room table. School lessons were done at the table, with Sarah and Holmes there to help.
Sarah, who belonged to the Home Demonstration Club, and the girls would work at the table caining stools, weaving baskets and trays, painting black paint on glass, and such.
Sarah, who made much of the family’s clothing, would design the girl’s dresses and cut out cloth at the table. She smocked and fagoted. The girls were always cute and well dressed. Sarah sewed for others, also, including the Charles Clay, who later owned Clay’s Rest Home. He and his wife, Miriam, had 3 or 4 girls. Sarah would look up the lane and see Miriam Clay coming with several pieces of fabric to sew a dress or coat for those girls.
While Sarah sewed at the sewing machine, Frances and Betsy would work on sewing projects. They learned to cross-stitch and made squares for a quilt of Sun-Bonnet Sue design. All 3 girls learned to sew by first learning to hem. Sarah would make them a dress, pin the length, and let them hem it. If they were anxious to wear the dress, it got hemmed quickly.
Each girl had to pick a chicken. Lucy Holmes would pull out one feather and cry “Moootheeer,” and then another feather and cry “Moootheeer” again. Soon they could buy dressed chickens. When dinner was cooking, Frances and Betsy would keep wood on the fire. Sarah would jump up now and then to stir and taste the food. Kerosene lamps were lit when it got dark.
When evening came, projects would be cleared from the table and it was set for supper. If company was coming, they extended and set the table with a damask table cloth and napkins. Supper was enjoyable with lots of conversation. After eating and clearing away the dishes, the family would sit back down to the table. In the 1930s before radio or television, the family created their own evening entertainment. Some evenings, Sarah would sit in a big chair and read a chapter from a book, like Little Women or Mrs. Wiggs of the Cabbage Patch. The sisters would listen and get sleepy from the heat of the wood stove.
They would also play cards, including Set Back, which was like bridge counted with High, Low, Jack, Joker, and Game. Jess Freeman, Joe Vaughan’s hired man, would come over and he and Frances would challenge Holmes and Betsy. They would play at the kitchen table with a pan of raw peanuts roasting in the oven, still hot from cooking supper. When they would eat the peanuts, salt and peanut oil would get on the cards, making them sticky. To make the cards easier to shuffle, they would put talcum powder on them.
Stoves in the kitchen and the one in the corner of the dining room were the only source of heat in the house. With no heat in the bedrooms, the girls would get ready for bed in the dining room, grab some “warming things,” and run for the cold bedroom, snuggling down close to each other in the one bed for warmth.

Sarah and the girls rode the Greyhound bus to Richmond where Sarah looked at the latest fashions. She would then buy material, yarn, matching socks, and maybe a pattern. Then, back at home, she would duplicate the expensive ready-made clothes.
On weekends and holidays family would come to visit at “Forest Grove” and Holmes and Sarah would take in the overflow of visitors from Joe and Ida Byrd’s. Joe Leigh and Emily and Claire and Melvin would visit there the most. At times Alice and Jean Burton lived there. Sadie and Josephine who were near the age of Frances and Betsy would visit.
Jean had a pet white mouse and a mouse house in the bottom of the wardrobe in the Red Room. The mouse was fun to play with but after it got away one day the mice at “Forest Grove” were never just plain brown again.
The grandchildren liked to play “school,” using the graveyard concrete steps as grades. They played house with small china dolls, miniature furniture, and houses they made and decorated from cardboard boxes. Alice always had the best doll house. They would eat pears from the pear tree and pick blackberries in the summer. The largest and juiciest blackberries were on the back fence rows.
The girls spent much time in the two yard swings and on the porch swing, too. Hanging by grapevines, they could swing back and forth across the creek. They enjoyed eating watermelon in the summer, having picnics, eating dinner around the huge table, and sitting around the fireplace with all the family, laughing and telling stories.
Frances, Betsy, Lucy Holmes and others would go fox hunting some with their grandfather, Joe Vaughan. They would spend the night at “Forest Grove” and get up very early in the morning to go with him. Horses were there to ride. Two were Bessie and Pat. Their Grandpa Vaughan also had a “golf course” around the front yard. When Betsy and others went there, he would say, “How about a game of golf?” He also organized races around the circle. The fastest runner got a nickel. He had a wonderful time playing with his granddaughters.

Although Holmes was always a Methodist, the family went to church and Sunday School at Crew Baptist Church where Sarah was a member. After Sunday School the family would go over to Mama and Papa Carr’s. Dinner was as soon after church as Mama could make the biscuits, cook them, serve up the fried chicken and vegetables, chop the ice, and pour iced tea and buttermilk. She served dinner on a long table on the back porch except in the winter. Sometimes, they made a freezer of ice cream. If someone coughed, they always said it meant they had enough to eat. Some weeks others came to Sunday dinner: the Duncan family and Ora Boyd and Will Boyd from Richmond.
After dinner the children would change into play clothes and play with their uncle William Thomas Carr. They played Annie Over, Giant Steps, Kick the Can, Hide and Seek, and Hopscotch and loved to climb the two mimosa trees in the front yard. Uncle William would take the children down the hill to the creek and carve little bark boats to sail there.
Behind the house were fragrant mimosa trees and mock orange bushes. Purple lilacs grew in the back and blue hydrangeas bloomed around the front porch.

Each day the girls walked about one-half mile to catch the bus for the three-mile ride to Burkeville High School. Although the school was small, all received an above average education.
In the summers, Holmes and the hired men would dam up the creek at the bottom of the hill and make a pond. The girls learned how to swim with cows and sometimes snakes looking on. It was their own pond but they invited friends and relatives to come swimming with them. The pond never lasted all summer. Week-long rains would wash the sandbags away. Holmes would have to break the news that, “The sandbags have washed out and the pond is down the creek.” One year it became such a popular place for all the cousins that Holmes had to remove the dam.
Summer was also a time of picnics, wiener roasts, and swimming at Goodwin’s Lake and Nottoway Pond. Still peeling from too much sun, the sisters would beg to go back again.
Time spent each summer with the Wellville cousins was also great fun. Margaret Wilson and Anne Wilson stayed with Frances and Betsy while Lucy Holmes stayed in Wellville with Louise Vaughan and Josie Vaughan. The next week, they would change around. When going to Wellville, the girls took coins for penny candy and trips to Blackstone for chocolate sodas from the drug store. The railroad tracks at Wellville offered hours of enjoyment, too. The cousins would run and climb the white board fence when a train was coming, wave at the conductor, and count the cars. At the house, they would sleep on pallets on the floor, feeling the trains shake the floor as they rumbled by in the night.
They also visited Dorothy Ford at Maplewood and traded visits with their classmates. Betsy visited Margaret Ellett and Elsie Cottam, and they visited her.
Watermelon cutting time was generally midmorning and mid-afternoon. Holmes, Joe, and James all grew big, long watermelons. They would cut one open and if it did not taste good, they threw it to the hogs and cut open another. Everyone ate outside so they could spit the seeds on the ground.
Much of the summer was spent on the front porch where an awning of kudzu vines kept the sun out. On it were chairs and tables with plants and a porch swing, which would creak as it swung back and forth. When they were young, the girls held doll tea parties there and played jack rocks, and it was the only smooth concrete surface where they could skate. The screen door opened and closed often, quietly and not with a slam.
Of course, all the butter bean shelling and fruit peeling was done on the front porch. One day the porch became a barbershop when Jean Burton and Betsy wanted boyish bobs. Sarah had always cut the girl’s hair but had never cut bobs before. She brought out Lucy Holmes’ high chair, draped them in a dish towel, and cut them perfect bobs.
Summer was also when the Sears & Roebuck Catalog, the most exciting piece of mail of the year, would come. Although Sarah made dresses for the girls, they chose their patent and white canvas shoes, which always fitted, from the catalog.
Croquet was the big game of the summer. The whole family would play and they got good at it, especially Holmes. He could shoot long, straight shots hitting another ball or going through two wickets at once. The family played very competitively. They would put spells on other balls or shout, “Cat tails around that ball,” to protect one from getting hit. The adults would play late into the night, shining car lights onto white-washed wickets to see. By the end of the summer, everyone was pretty worn out with the game and they would put away the set for the next summer.
Holmes, a member of the Crewe Methodist Church and the Southside Grange, was also a square dance caller. He also sold insurance and was a director of the Farmers’ Mutual Benefit Association for 8 years until his death.

The move to Crewe
On 17 Sept. 1946 Holmes and Sarah bought a two-story home on Carolina Avenue in Crewe. Previously known as “Robertson’s Siding,” they renamed the town for the rail center of Crewe, England, after the Norfolk and Western Railroad, which ran between Lynchburg and Petersburg, moved their shops there from Petersburg in 1887.

Holmes has a stroke
Holmes health began to fade after he suffered a stroke in Aug. 1951. He spent 14 days at the Memorial and Crippled Children’s Hospital in Roanoke, Va., before he died 4 Nov. 1951 at 59 years of age of “cerebral thrombosis and hemorrhage due to cerebral vascular arteriosclerosis.” They buried him in the family burial ground near his home. In Dec. 1970 the Town of Crewe granted Sarah lot 46 in section 9 of the Crewe Cemetery and she moved Holmes’ body there. The Crewe Cemetery lies on Lazaretto Creek on land where more than two hundred years before Holmes’ Robertson ancestors established their grist mills. They would later bury Sarah next to Holmes.
Since Holmes had not written a will, Nottoway County appointed Sarah the administratrix of his estate. On 8 Nov. 1951 she posted a $35,000 bond, James H. Vaughan, surety. Herman Pape, James Henry Vaughan, and F.W. Sheffield appraised Holmes’ estate. The real and personal property amounted to about $37,000, which included the proceeds from the sale of the farm. They valued the family’s 1949 Pontiac 2-door sedan at $1,545 and the 70-acre dairy farm at $10,000.
Three shares of National Bank of Crewe stock were worth $120. Holmes’ mother and father had owned 3 shares of stock and these may have been the same ones. Sarah kept the stock and 44 years later, after several stock splits and bank mergers, Sarah’s estate included 118 shares of NationsBank stock, valued at almost $6,000.
As administratrix, Sarah kept a record of all estate receipts and disbursements. She paid the hospital $8 per day for Holmes’ 14-day stay and $7.50 for an electrocardiogram. To C.L. Jennings & Son went a check for $973.50 for the funeral. She deposited the $460 Oct. 1951 milk payment from Virginia Dairy Company, which was for 6,953 pounds of AA milk at $6.61 per hundred pounds.
When Sarah went to sell the farm, a minor boundary issue arose with her brother-in-law, James. When Joe Vaughan had deeded the farm to Holmes, the description was a bit vague although the total acreage was to have been about 70 acres. James had helped put up the fence between the two properties but claimed that his portion of “Forest Grove” extended beyond the fence leaving Holmes with about 50 acres. Sarah engaged J.W. Blackburn in Dec. 1951 to survey the property. According to Sarah, James conceded the issue before the surveyor finished so that he would not have to face friends and family who had gathered in the ice to watch the survey. Sarah recorded James’ quitclaim to 70 acres 2 Jan. 1952.
After Sarah sold the farm, she went to live in the Carolina Avenue home. On 8 Feb. 1952 her 3 daughters and their husbands deeded their inherited half interest in this property to Sarah. She succeeded Holmes’ at Farmers’ Mutual and continued to sell insurance.

Descendants of Holmes Arthur Vaughan
Information about the children of Holmes Arthur Vaughan, their descendants, and allied families previously found at is now available as Southside Virginia Genealogies. Learn more 
Names found in this topic include the following.
 Frances Rebecca (Vaughan) Garland (1924-),  
Ruby (Canada) Morrisett,   Elwood Morrisett,  Martha Canada,  Martha Goodson,  
Robert Allen Garland,  Walter B. Garland,  Minnie Everett Allen,  Frances Boyd Haynes,  
Robert Allen Garland Jr.,  Hallie Fox Colhoun,  Edward Dudley Colhoun,  Hallie Hamilton Fox,  
Robert Allen Garland III,  
John Hamilton Garland,  Myriah Dawn Freeman,  David John Freeman,  Doris Arlene —,  
Caryn Elizabeth Garland,  
Edward Scott Garland,  Beth Ann Hackethorn,  David Lyon Hackethorn,  Jeanette Hayward,  
Gregory Fox Garland,  
Rebecca Jane Garland,  George Face Reed Jr.,  
Anita Holmes Garland,  
Teresa Ann Garland,  
 Elizabeth Carolyn (Vaughan) Pritchett (1925-),  
William R. Wrigglesworth,  
William McCaddin Pritchett,   
 Lucy Holmes (Vaughan) Taylor Redick (1929-),  
Charles William Taylor II,  Arthur Jennings Taylor,  Nellie Baber,  
Jack Hamilton Redick,  
Kim (Redick) Forrest,  Kip Hamilton Redick,  
Charles William Taylor III,  
Nancy Holmes Taylor,  
James Stephen Beckett,  
Sarah Jean Taylor,  

This family topic includes the following notable individuals.
Soldiers of colonial and American wars
Robert Allen Garland - World War II  

Officers and trustees of Hampden-Sydney College
Anita Holmes Garland  

Selected sources
Pritchett, Elizabeth (Vaughan). The Past Remembered with Photographs and Stories of the Vaughan Family. Privately published. • Recollections of Elizabeth Vaughan Pritchett.

This topic, which represents .3% of all the family history material at, includes 3 citations and the names of 61 individuals.
Virginians - The Family History of John W. Pritchett
Copyright © 2001-2006, John W. Pritchett. All rights reserved.
Civil War Soldiers from Brunswick County, Virginia 
  • 1,140 family histories
  • 744 pages
  • 35,000-name index
  • Attractively bound
  • Military histories
  • Index of church cemeteries
  • Confederate veterans photo
  • More...